As 2016 draws to a close, Rapaport News took the opportunity to speak with leading industry experts about the past year and their expectations for the next 12 months.
Most agreed 2016 was a challenging year, to say the least. Interviewees were split on their forecast for polished diamond prices in 2017 even though they shared a relatively strong sense of optimism for the New Year. And as for U.S. President-Elect Donald Trump, it seems confidence is flying fairly high that his proposed economic policies will improve trading conditions.
Here’s what the following diamantaires had to say about the past year and the path that lies ahead:
- Michael Meirov, CEO of MID Diamonds, a Ramat Gan-based manufacturer and trader
- Sabyasachi Ray, Mumbai-based executive director of the Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council
- Stéphane Fischler, Antwerp-based partner at manufacturing and trading company Fischler Diamonds
- Leibish Polnauer, president of Ramat Gan-based Leibish & Co., a supplier of fancy-color diamonds
- Russell Mehta, managing director of Mumbai-based manufacturer Rosy Blue
- Alan Bronstein, owner, Aurora Gems, a New York-based fancy-color diamond supplier