The 30th Hong Kong Jewellery and Gem Fair will open its doors on 11 September 2013. It’s a key event in the diaries of jewellery and fine jewellery professionals across the world that will set the tone for the diamond market over the coming months.
Industry professionals from all corners of the world will converge on Hong Kong from 11 to 17 September for one of the major events of the jewellery and fine jewellery industry year – the September Hong Kong Jewellery and Gem Fair. Retailers and jewellers will come together to preview trends in stones and design and to plan their purchases for the Christmas and Valentine’s Day seasons.
The show grows each year, and in 2013 was attended by some 3,500 exhibitors and 52,000 potential purchasers, from 48 countries! The exhibition area for precious stones, jewellery and services covers 135,000m², with the diamond pavilion alone measuring close to 16,000m². More than 400 diamond suppliers will be exhibiting under the banner of the Antwerp World Diamond Centre (AWDC) and the Israel Diamond Institute (IDI).
This a difficult period for the diamond market. Rough diamond prices remain excessively high, and it is impossible to say whether the cut diamond price index finally foretells the recovery that no-one dares hope to see. There were no positive surprises at the India International Jewellery Show in August, and all eyes are now turned on Hong Kong. With a year to go until the elections and the rupee at its lowest ever level, the situation in India is worrying. Market-critical strategic choices made by major gem producers, led by De Beers, remain controversial.
Read the following articles on this website to find out more about market expectations and trends:
- Thank god for deep desires!
- Indian rupee hits record low against the dollar
- Diamond-cutting and -polishing industry in distress
- Trading down
Don’t miss these events:
- 11 to 15 September, OJSC Alrosa diamond auction (room 205, AWE, invitation only)
- 12 September, De Beers Sightholder luncheon (room 201C, AWE)
- 14 September, AGIL 2013 International Gemmological Conference: 11am to 1.15pm Identifications on Rubies and Irradiated-HPHT fancy diamonds (room N201B, HKCEC)
- 16 September, Success in Jewellery eCommerce Presentation (room S228, HKCEC)
- As last year, the show will be organised across two venues: Asia World-Expo (AWE – raw materials, components, equipment, etc.) from 11 to 15 September, and the Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre (HKCEC – jewellery and design), from 13 to 17 September .
- You will find diamond dealers and diamond industry professionals in halls 5, 7, 9 and 11, at AWE.